"A Girl's Gotta Eat!"

Monday, December 8, 2008

You Don't Want Kids?

Ok, here we go again with people wanting to know why it is that I don't like certain things. I don't like kids, some people think I'm awful for saying that but it's true, so sue me! I don't like your kids, I don't like their kids, I don't want my own kids and at least I'm honest about it. Would you really want to get into a relationship with someone assuming that they want children then finding out years down the road that it's not an option? I would like to know also why it is that people just assume that everyone loves kids?
I was at a wedding on Saturday & I was out on the dance floor by myself having a good time until I bumped into someone & it was a mom holding her little girl (2 or 3) and she was really cute but just because she's cute doesn't mean I want anything to do with her. So the little girl (who I don't know) starts reaching for me so I move to the other side of the floor & mom takes girl & goes & sits down. So here I am happy as a clam on the dance floor & I feel something touching my leg & I look & it's this little girl standing there with her arms up like she wanted me to pick her up. I stared at her for a minute, tapped her on the head & went back to my table. I was on the dance floor later on & it happened again so again I went back to my table. After that I decided to just dance at my table which I shouldn't have had to do because the mother should have known that if I didn't respond to the kid twice I probably wasn't going to. First of all she shouldn't have just let her tiny little girl out on to the granite dance floor by herself with a bunch of drunk people to begin with & 2nd of all when the mom said to me "she really likes you" and I just said oh & moved to the other side of the floor she should have known that I really wasn't interested. Of course, my whole family found this hysterical because they know I don't like kids but I was seriously so flustered I wanted to cry, I felt like I was being attacked. My friend Wendy hates birds & she said "that's exactly how I feel when a bird is near me, it's like panic".
I really just wish people would accept & respect the fact that I do not like children. I know plenty of people who don't like all kinds of things but I don't think they are less of a person because they don't like it. I think people have issues with women who don't like kids because they don't think we should miss out on the "miracle of child birth" well, that's not a miracle for me that's freaking insane! I have no clock ticking away inside of me, no desire to have or be around children especially when I haven't known them since birth, and if I were to ever have a kid it would be adopted & likely a little older. I'm selfish & not willing to give up my identity to be someones mother, I give mad props to my friends who are parents, especially the single ones but I don't ever want to be in that position. I want to do what I want, when I want with whomever I want & not have to worry about a sitter or the kids or anything else. People just need to relax & pay attention to themselves instead of giving me shit for my choices & opinions!

Bookmark and Share

No comments: